1 of 1
97, Okazaki-Nishi-tenno-cho, Sakyo-ku
Heian Jingu was built in 1895 to celebrate the 1100th anniversary of the establishment of Heian-kyo (the old name of Kyoto). The Shinto shrine honors two emperors: Kammu (737-806), who founded Kyoto in 794, and Komei (1831-66), the last emperor to live out his reign in Kyoto before the capital moved to Tokyo.
On the occasion of the deification of Emperor Komei in 1940, additional buildings were added, including the Main Sanctuary, Shinto ritual hall, Inner Sanctuary, Flank Hall, Tablet Hall, Outer and Inner Platforms, Saikan and Administration Building. -- http://www.sacred-destinations.com/japan/kyoto-heian-jingu
The architecture design was a reproduction of the Chōdōin (Emperor’s palace in the former eras) in 5/8th scale (in length). -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heian_Shrine
administration buildings; Shinto; reconstruction (construction)
Photographer: Quale, John
Source Qualifier: Donor
Kyoto, Kyōto, Kinki, Japan
Heian Jingū (Kyoto, Japan)
© John Quale
© Rector and Visitors, University of Virginia
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.