Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Kolonieh
1 of 1

Kolonieh, result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Title
Kolonieh
From: "Terre-Sainte." Introduction by Abbé Eugène Bossard. Published by La Maison de la Bonne Press, Paris. Frontispiece illustrated by Jean Brunet (1893). "Du 1er au 31 mai 1896. Abonnement: France 6fr. Union postale; 8 fr par an. Publication Mensuelle 12 Photographies par fascicule".
Publication: Paris
Maison de la Bonne Presse
[1896]
Work Type
1 photograph
Material
b&w
Measurements
25 x 20 cm ( 9.875 x 7.875 in).
Description
A street scene. Donkeys, priests and other people enter a village. Buildings on the left and right sides of the road are raised above the ground and are built of stone with wooden railings.
The photograph is in a book with a typed description in French and English. The French description: "La route de Jérusalem à Jaffa, après avoir traversé le torrent sur un pont moderne, passe près du village de Kolonieh qui est sur la pente de la montagne. On n'aperçoit ici que les maisons d'auberge construites sur la route. Au fond, à droîte, sont les ruines d'une construction en gros blocs équarris. Les pierres d'angle seules sont d'un travail plus soigné. Plusieurs auteurs ont voulu voir là un reste de construction romaine, mais l'examen du travail révèle la main des ouvriers latins de l'époque des Croisades: les signes lapidaires, la taille en diagonale et l'ensemble de l'oeuvre, tout rappelle les travaux analogues de Koubeibé, d'Abougoch, etc. Kolonieh répond à une localité biblique du nom de Qoulon, citée dans Josué." The English translation: "The road from Jerusalem to Jaffa, after crossing the torrent by a modern bridge, passes close by the village of Kolonieh, which stands on the mountain slope. We only see the way side inns. Down below, to the right, are the ruins of some great building, great rough blocks, only the corner-stones show signs of more careful workmanship. Some authors have looked upon this as the remains of a Roman building, but a closer examination shows the workmanship of the Latins at the time of the Crusades. The manner of cutting, the shape of the blocks and the general look of the work, all resemble similar structures at Koubeibe, Abougoch, etc. Kolonieh is mentioned in the book of Joshua under the name of Holon." The initials "B+P" are printed at the bottom left corner.
The photograph was not catalogued by Lazard--it was catalogued at CAJS.
ID Number
5072ANO/LBO314CAJS
Provenance
Bertrand and Paola Lazard Holy Land Collection
Rights
Collection provided by the Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania. CC BY 2.0
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
5072.jp2
SSID
21865933

Now viewing Kolonieh