Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Berlin. Neue Kgl. Bibliothek. [Berlin. New Royal Library]; verso: [divided back, no message]
1 of 1

Berlin. Neue Kgl. Bibliothek. [Berlin. New Royal Library]; verso: [divided back, no message], result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Culture
German
Title
Berlin. Neue Kgl. Bibliothek. [Berlin. New Royal Library]; verso: [divided back, no message]
overall
recto
Work Type
Picture postcard
Date
ca. 1907-1914 (publication date)
Image: 2018
Material
paper
cardstock
Measurements
9 x 14 cm (3.54 x 5.51 inches) approximately
Description
Around the turn of the century the Königliche Bibliothek became the largest and most efficient library of the German language area. This was due to the size of its collections (1905: about 1.2 million volumes) and the number of readers. The construction of the new building at Unter den Linden (from 1903 to 1914), which was designed by the architect Ernst v. Ihne (1848 to 1917), marked the key moment of the library’s development before World War I. During World War II, the library's holdings were evacuated to numerous locations to protect them from looting and damage. When Germany surrendered on 8 May 1945, the building Unter den Linden was partially destroyed, its valuable holdings were scattered across the country, and many staff members had either been killed or were displaced all over Germany, effectively ending the Prussian State Library. After the end of the war around 1.5 million volumes were returned to West Berlin and about 900,000 volumes were returned to East Berlin. The holdings in the territory of the Western allies came back to the divided city of Berlin and a considerable portion was recovered after 1945 from the Soviet occupation zone. Due to the turmoil caused by the war 335,000 to 400,000 volumes are presumed destroyed – additionally 300,000 volumes are considered missing. Other materials are still stored in Poland and former Soviet Union. After the reunification of Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall, in January 1992, the two state libraries were merged into one institution. Since then the name has been Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz. (http://staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/en/about-the-library/geschichte/)
Repository
Trinity College, Watkinson Library (Hartford, Connecticut, USA)
Accession Number
Box 7.19-8
ID Number
544797
Source
Trinity College Library
Vendor: Trinity College Watkinson Library
Rights
This digital collection and its contents are made available by Trinity College Library for limited non-commercial, educational and personal use only. For other uses, or for additional information regarding the collection, contact the staff of Watkinson Library (www.watkinsonlibrary.org).
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the applicable Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
544797.jpg
SSID
22381237

Now viewing Berlin. Neue Kgl. Bibliothek. [Berlin. New Royal Library]; verso: [divided back, no message]