Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Marienburg. Conventsherrenstube. [Marienburg, West Prussia (now Malbork, Poland), Convent Gentleman's Room]. Aufnahme u. Verlag von Ottomar Anschutz, Spezialhaus fur Photographie, Berlin W.; verso: [divided back, no message]
1 of 1

Marienburg. Conventsherrenstube. [Marienburg, West Prussia (now Malbork, Poland), Convent Gentleman's Room]. Aufnahme u. Verlag von Ottomar Anschutz, Spezialhaus fur Photographie, Berlin W.; verso: [divided back, no message], result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Culture
German
Title
Marienburg. Conventsherrenstube. [Marienburg, West Prussia (now Malbork, Poland), Convent Gentleman's Room]. Aufnahme u. Verlag von Ottomar Anschutz, Spezialhaus fur Photographie, Berlin W.; verso: [divided back, no message]
overall
recto
Work Type
Picture postcard
Date
ca.1907-1914 (publication date)
Material
cardstock
paper
Measurements
14 x 9 cm (5.51 x 3.54 inches) approximately
Description
Malbork (German: Marienburg) is a town in northern Poland in the Zulawy region (Vistula delta), with 38,478 inhabitants (2006). Situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999, it was previously assigned to Elblag Voivodeship (1975–1998). It is the capital of Malbork County. The town was built in Prussia around the fortress Ordensburg Marienburg which was founded in 1274 on the east bank of the river Nogat by the Teutonic Knights. Both the castle and the town (named Marienburg in German and Malborg or Malbork in Polish) were named for their patron saint, the Virgin Mary. This fortified castle became the seat of the Teutonic Order and Europe's largest Gothic fortress. During the Thirteen Years' War, the castle of Marienburg was pawned by the Teutonic Order to their imperial soldiers from Bohemia. They sold the castle in 1457 to King Casimir IV of Poland in lieu of indemnities. Under continuous construction for nearly 230 years, the castle complex is actually three castles combined in one another. A classic example of a medieval fortress, it is the world’s largest brick castle and one of the most impressive of its kind in Europe. The castle was in the process of being restored by the Germans when World War II broke out. During the war, the castle was over 50% destroyed. Restoration has been ongoing since the war. However, the main cathedral in the castle, fully restored just prior to the war and destroyed during the war, remains in its ruined state. The castle and its museum are listed as UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. Following the war [World War II], the Old Town in Malbork was not rebuilt, instead the bricks from its ruins were used to rebuild the oldest sections of Warsaw and Gdansk. As a result, with the exception of the Old Town Hall, two city gates and St. John's church, no pre-WW II buildings remain in the Old Town area. In the place of the old town, a housing estate was built in the 1960s. (Wikipedia)
Repository
Trinity College, Watkinson Library (Hartford, Connecticut, USA)
Accession Number
Box 8.89-22
ID Number
539351
Source
Trinity College Library
Vendor: Trinity College Watkinson Library
Rights
This digital collection and its contents are made available by Trinity College Library for limited non-commercial, educational and personal use only. For other uses, or for additional information regarding the collection, contact the staff of Watkinson Library (www.watkinsonlibrary.org).
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the applicable Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
539351.jpg
SSID
9379807

Now viewing Marienburg. Conventsherrenstube. [Marienburg, West Prussia (now Malbork, Poland), Convent Gentleman's Room]. Aufnahme u. Verlag von Ottomar Anschutz, Spezialhaus fur Photographie, Berlin W.; verso: [divided back, no message]