Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Frans Hals - Regentessen van het Oude Mannenhuis [Regentesses of the Old Men's Home]. Uitg. Firma P. van Cittert Zonen, Haarlem.; Verso: [divided back, no message]
1 of 1

Frans Hals - Regentessen van het Oude Mannenhuis [Regentesses of the Old Men's Home]. Uitg. Firma P. van Cittert Zonen, Haarlem.; Verso: [divided back, no message], result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Culture
Dutch
Title
Frans Hals - Regentessen van het Oude Mannenhuis [Regentesses of the Old Men's Home]. Uitg. Firma P. van Cittert Zonen, Haarlem.; Verso: [divided back, no message]
overall
recto
Work Type
Picture postcard
Date
ca.1907-1914 (publication date)
Material
cardstock
paper
Measurements
9 x 14 cm (3.54 x 5.51 inches) approximately
Description
Vleeshal means meat-hall; it was the only place in Haarlem where fresh meat was allowed to be sold from 1604 to the 18th century. The ox-heads on the front of the building indicate the function of the hall. The building was used for selling fresh meat, salted meat was sold in the Warmoesstraat, the street next to the building. It was designed in renaissance style by Lieven de Key. It was built from 1602 to 1603. Before that there was already a small Vleeshal on the crossing of the Spekstraat and the Warmoesstraat, but around 1600 it had become too small, and the meat had to be sold outside. The new building was a prestigious project; expensive materials and a beautiful design were used. It opened on November 1st, 1604. There was place for 40 different meat merchants in the building. The building has been in use as meat-hall until 1840. Afterwards it was used by the National Archive (Rijksarchief) and the Haarlem public library. Since 1950 the building is in use as a gallery by the Frans Hals Museum, which holds art exhibitions there under the name "Museum De Hallen". The entrance to that museum is through the house directly to the right of the building. The cellar of the Vleeshal is used by the Archeologisch Museum Haarlem, which has a permanent exhibition on various aspects of the archeology of Haarlem, as well as a modest exhibition area for new finds. The entrance to that museum is through the small door on the left leading down into the cellar.
Repository
Trinity College, Watkinson Library (Hartford, Connecticut, USA)
Accession Number
Box 12.51-14
ID Number
534679
Source
Trinity College Library
Vendor: Trinity College Watkinson Library
Rights
This digital collection and its contents are made available by Trinity College Library for limited non-commercial, educational and personal use only. For other uses, or for additional information regarding the collection, contact the staff of Watkinson Library (www.watkinsonlibrary.org).
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
534679.jpg
SSID
2841816

Now viewing Frans Hals - Regentessen van het Oude Mannenhuis [Regentesses of the Old Men's Home]. Uitg. Firma P. van Cittert Zonen, Haarlem.; Verso: [divided back, no message]