Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

The Lying-In-Hospital. Pathology Laboratory.
1 of 1

The Lying-In-Hospital. Pathology Laboratory., result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Title
The Lying-In-Hospital. Pathology Laboratory.
Work Type
albumen print
Date
ca. 1897
Measurements
8.5"x 9.5"
Description
Print mounted on cardboard showing the Lying-in-Hospital pathology laboratory in the Hamilton Fish Mansion.
Dr. David Hosack was the first to issue an appeal to establish the Lying-in-Hospital in October 1798 for poor women who could not afford the medical care and nursing during their pregnancy. It was opened in August 1799 at the first building at 2 Cedar Street. In 1801, the board of the hospital made an agreement with the board of the New York Hospital to operate a lying in ward at New York Hospital. Both poor and paying mothers were accepted there. This arrangement lasted until 1822. The ward was closed on June 1822 and then reopened in May 1823. They parted ways in 1827. For many years the Lying-in-Hospital did not have a building. In 1887, various dispensaries were operated around New York. J. Pierpont Morgan became interested in the hospital in 1893. In May 1894, the hospital purchased the Hamilton Fish Mansion on Second Avenue and 17th street. It opened in November 1894 with 32 beds. Morgan gave money to build a hospital in 1899. The Hamilton Fish Mansion was torn down and the new building erected on the site. The new hospital opened on January 22, 1902. The hospital was primarily a maternity hospital. A small gynecological service performing surgeries was available. The Lying-in-Hospital's board made an agreement with New York Hospital on June 19, 1928 to be absorbed by New York Hospital and become the ob/gyn department at the new medical center. New York Hospital asked for six million to absorb the hospital. J. Pierpont Morgan Jr. and George Baker Sr. and Jr. as well as funds from the Rockefeller family paid the six million for the deal. The Lying-in-Hospital maintained its name at the medical center. It officially merged with the New York Hospital in 1947.
This image was used in "Society of The Lying-In-Hospital Annual Report for the Year 1897." The photographer's name is raised stamped recto. Duplicates available.
Repository
Medical Center Archives of NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell
Accession Number
P-04890
Archival Location
Box O39
Rights
This image is in the public domain and is believed to have no known U.S. copyright or other restrictions. It is good scholarly practice to cite references. Please credit the Medical Center Archives of NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell. For information on our photo reproduction policies please see http://weill.cornell.edu/archives/photographs/ Please provide us the accession number (P number) of the image you are inquiring about when you contact us.
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the applicable Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
1318032.fpx
SSID
1318032

Now viewing The Lying-In-Hospital. Pathology Laboratory.