Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

The Lying-In-Hospital. Cremation Room.
1 of 1

The Lying-In-Hospital. Cremation Room., result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Title
The Lying-In-Hospital. Cremation Room.
Work Type
gelatin silver print
Date
1902-1932
Measurements
12"x 15"
Description
Print mounted on cardboard showing the Lying-in-Hospital cremation room in the hospital on 17th Street and Second Avenue.
Dr. David Hosack was the first to issue an appeal to establish the Lying-in-Hospital in October 1798 for poor women who could not afford the medical care and nursing during their pregnancy. It was opened in August 1799 at the first building at 2 Cedar Street. In 1801, the board of the hospital made an agreement with the board of the New York Hospital to operate a lying in ward at the New York Hospital. Both poor and paying mothers were accepted there. This arrangement lasted until 1822. The ward was closed on June 1822 and then reopened in May 1823. They parted ways in 1827. For many years the Lying-in-Hospital did not have a building. In 1887, various dispensaries were operated around New York. J. Pierpont Morgan became interested in the hospital in 1893. In May 1894, the hospital purchased the Hamilton Fish Mansion on Second Avenue and 17th street. It opened in November 1894 with 32 beds. Morgan gave money to build a hospital in 1899. The Hamilton Fish Mansion was torn down and the new building erected on the site. The new hospital opened on January 22, 1902. The hospital was primarily a maternity hospital. A small gynecological service performing surgeries was available. The Lying-in-Hospital's board made an agreement with the New York Hospital on June 19, 1928 to be absorbed by the New York Hospital and become the ob/gyn department at the new medical center. The New York Hospital asked for six million to absorb the hospital. J. Pierpont Morgan Jr. and George Baker Sr. and Jr. as well as funds from the Rockefeller family paid the six million for the deal. The Lying-in-Hospital maintained its name at the medical center. It officially merged with the New York Hospital in the 1940s.
Repository
Medical Center Archives of NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell
Accession Number
P-04905
Archival Location
Box O41
Rights
This image may be protected under U.S. Copyright law. The researcher has the responsibility to obtain permission from the copyright holders. This digital collection and its contents are owned by the Medical Center Archives of NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell. Digital reproductions are provided for private study, scholarship, and research use only and may not be downloaded for use in electronic or print publications (including websites), exhibitions or broadcasts, without permission. For information on our photo reproduction policies please see http://weill.cornell.edu/archives/photographs/ Please provide us with the accession number (P number) of the image you are inquiring about when you contact us.
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
1318046.fpx
SSID
1318046

Now viewing The Lying-In-Hospital. Cremation Room.