Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Second New York Hospital Building Showing the West Sixteenth Street Side.
1 of 1

Second New York Hospital Building Showing the West Sixteenth Street Side., result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Title
Second New York Hospital Building Showing the West Sixteenth Street Side.
Work Type
gelatin silver print
Date
1920s
Measurements
8"x 10"
Description
Original unmounted print showing the second hospital from the W. 16th Street side in the winter time. The print has torn edges.
The New York Hospital was chartered in 1771. The first building on Broadway was used from 1775-1870. The building was occupied by the British army during the revolutionary war. After the war the building was used as a home for destitute emigrants, anatomical lectures and the New York State legislature. The main building was opened for patients at that site in 1791 and the buildings were demolished in 1869. The second building was on W. 15th Street and 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. This hospital opened on March 16, 1877 and was used until 1932. While the hospital was being built the hospital operated the Chambers Street House of Relief. The New York Hospital Training School for Nurses was established in 1877. In 1912, an association was established with the Cornell University Medical College. In 1927, plans were made for building the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. The center which contained buildings for the New York Hospital and Cornell University Medical College opened for business at York Avenue between 68th and 70th Streets on September 1, 1932.
The photographer's name and address is stamped verso. Duplicates available.
Repository
Medical Center Archives of NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell
Accession Number
P-00328
Archival Location
2A
Rights
This image may be protected under U.S. Copyright law. The researcher has the responsibility to obtain permission from the copyright holders. This digital collection and its contents are owned by the Medical Center Archives of NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell. Digital reproductions are provided for private study, scholarship, and research use only and may not be downloaded for use in electronic or print publications (including websites), exhibitions or broadcasts, without permission. For information on our photo reproduction policies please see http://weill.cornell.edu/archives/photographs/ Please provide us with the accession number (P number) of the image you are inquiring about when you contact us.
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
1313605.fpx
SSID
1313605

Now viewing Second New York Hospital Building Showing the West Sixteenth Street Side.