Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

McGregor Museum Complex
1 of 1

McGregor Museum Complex, result 1 of 1

Item Details
Public
Available to everyone
Culture
South African
Title
McGregor Museum Complex
Duggan-Cronin Gallery
Stained glass, as seen from within entry alcove
Detail View
Work Type
art museums
Date
1888
Image: 08/08/2018
Location
17 Everton Rd, Belgravia, Kimberly, 8301, South Africa
Kimberley, Northern Cape, Province of, South Africa
Latitude: 28.747 S
Longitude: 24.781 E
Material
Brick, corrugated metal, stained glass
Period
Victorian; South African late territorial
Description
One of Kimberley’s first “great houses,” the Duggan-Cronin Gallery feature fine detailwork and expensive finishes (like the stained glass window seen here). The effect of this vibrant stained glass is only perceptible during daylight from the interior of the alcove that shelters the main entryway. However, these are mixed with more economical materials typical of more territorial-period South African architecture, such as the metal awnings over the verandas.
Commentary: The Duggan Cronin Gallery was originally a “great house” designed for John Blades Currey. Located in the fashionable Belgravia neighborhood, Currey’s house featured stables and courts for tennis and croquet. Known in its earliest form as “The Lodge,” the architecture of the house is typical of late territorial houses in Kimberley, with metal corrugated roofing and awnings, and ornamental brick and stained glass. In 1899, ownership of the house passed to De Beers Consolidated Mines, Ltd., and was occupied for the next several decades by De Beers secretary and director William Pickering. In 1937, De Beers endowed the house to Alfred Martin Duggan-Cronin, a renowned photographer who had also worked for De Beers. The gallery of Duggan-Cronin’s photographs opened in 1938, and became part of the McGregor Museum network of museums in 1954. Today, the gallery features several period rooms showing the house as it would have appeared in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It also houses a permanent exhibition of Duggan-Cronin’s photographs and temporary exhibition space. Duggan-Cronin’s photography forms an essential ethnographic record of indigenous peoples in South Africa, at a moment when tribal traditions faced increasing pressure from industrialization, urbanization, and colonial incursions.
Source
Information: “Welcome to the Duggan-Cronin Gallery Kimberley,” McGregor Museum and satellites informational pamphlet updated January 2017.
Photographer: Sarah Rovang
Historic Designation
National
Rights
Sarah Rovang, 2018
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
0808SKR2018024.jpg
SSID
24019811

Now viewing McGregor Museum Complex