Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Fort Ticonderoga
1 of 1

Fort Ticonderoga, result 1 of 1

Item Details
Available to everyone
Fort Ticonderoga
Work Type
1755; repairs, post-1759; reconstruction, 1909-1915, 1920-1931, 1940; educational center, 2000s
Fort Ticonderoga Road; entrance just east of railroad tracks
Ticonderoga, Essex, New York, United States
After playing pivotal roles in both the Seven Years War and the American Revolution, the fort was abandoned and deeded to the Regents of the University of the State of New York and then to Columbia and Union colleges. In 1820, the property was purchased by Ferris Pell, a rich New York merchant, who protected the fort with a fence and built a nearby summer house. The property was eventually operated as a genteel resort, and the fort's national importance spawned federal bills for the government to purchase Ticonderoga as a national shrine. With a fundraising pledge from Pell family relatives, work began in 1909 to reconstruct the fort. The project inaugurated with the officers' (west) barracks and later, the soldiers' (south) barracks. Finally, the eastern bastion and wall were reconstructed in 1940. Concurrent with the reconstruction work, the Pell family restored the Pavilion, the earlier summer home, with garages, gardens, and other new buildings. The land occupied by the fort and sites of military engagement were cultivated in a manner consonant with a great early 20th-century country place. The combination of public historic site and private rural estate was unorthodox at the time it was undertaken.
Contributor: Richard W Longstreth
Information: Richard Longstreth, A Guide to Architecture in the Adirondacks (Keeseville, NY: Adirondacks Architectural Heritage, 2017) Section 5: Lower Lake Champlain Valley and Interior TI1
Photographer: Richard Longstreth
Richard Longstreth
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name

Now viewing Fort Ticonderoga