Teapot, result 1 of 1
It is believed by their descendants that this teapot belonged to Jacky and Elizabeth (Betty) Guard, who settled at Kakapo Bay in 1832. Produced by Sheffield-based manufacturing company James Dixon & Sons in the early 1800s, it is made of pewter and has ebony handles.
Pewter is an alloy of tin, copper, antimony, bismuth and, historically, lead. The manufacture of pewter ware developed in Europe from the fourteenth century, although the use of the alloy dates back at least two thousand years to the Roman Empire. Pewter was relatively common so it was used for utilitarian pieces, although these often emulated aspects of more expensive and ornate silver ware.
Now viewing Teapot