Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Artificial legs, Roehampton, England, 1949
1 of 1

Artificial legs, Roehampton, England, 1949, result 1 of 1

Item Details
Open Artstor
Available to everyone
Title
Artificial legs, Roehampton, England, 1949
First pair of lower limb prostheses supplied to a boy 2¼ years
First pair of lower limb prostheses supplied to a boy 2¼ years old. He was born with complete absence of both lower
Work Type
Orthopaedics
Date
1949
Location
Roehampton
Material
Certalmid
leather
Measurements
overall: 150 mm x 150 mm x 110 mm, .27g
Description
First pair of lower limb prostheses supplied to a boy 2¼ years old. He was born with complete absence of both lower limbs. The sockets are made of certalmid and fitted with round peg ends. Made by Hanger on 25 April 1949. (Weight: 9 oz 255 gm).
Artificial limb manufacturer Hanger was founded by James Edward Hanger. He was the first amputee of the American Civil War. He constructed himself an artificial leg made of whittled barrel staves with a hinge at the knee. He was then commissioned to manufacture the "Hanger Limb for wounded Civil War veterans. He founded the J. E. Hanger Company and patented the artificial leg. The company is now known as Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc. It still manufactures artificial limbs.\n\nHanger created this prosthesis for a two year-old born with both lower limbs missing. It was made in 1949 in two separate parts held by leather straps. These adjusted to fit around the child s front and back as he sat in the prosthesis. Movement was possible. However, the prosthesis was intended to get the child used to being upright.
Accession Number
ID Number
co476578
Source
Image and original data from Science Museum Group
Rights
The source metadata displayed in the Description field is released under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
All other source metadata is released under Creative Commons Zero.
File Properties
File Name
large_1999_0485.jpg
SSID
26315067

Now viewing Artificial legs, Roehampton, England, 1949