Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Left, the banner of the Spanish Inquisition; right banner of the Inquisition in Goa. Engraving by B. Picart, 1722.
1 of 1

Left, the banner of the Spanish Inquisition; right banner of the Inquisition in Goa. Engraving by B. Picart, 1722., result 1 of 1

Item Details
Open Artstor
Available to everyone
Culture
French
Title
Left, the banner of the Spanish Inquisition; right banner of the Inquisition in Goa. Engraving by B. Picart, 1722.
Work Type
Etchings. Engravings.
Date
1722
Material
engraving, with etching ;
Measurements
image 15 x 21.5 cm
Description
1 print :
The Spanish Inquisition was a council to combat heresy, authorized by a papal bull in 1478 and established by King Ferdinand II and Queen Isabella in 1480 as responsible to the Crown, not the Church. It used secret procedures and judicial torture, and burning its victims in public ceremonials. With its independence from papal interference, the Inquisition soon became an instrument of the Spanish Crown's build-up of absolute power in the 16th and 17th century. It was finally abolished in 1834 Goa on the West Indian coast was seized in 1510 and made the Portuguese headquarter, but incorporated in the Spanish Empire in 1578
Banniere de l'Inquisition d'Espagne. Banniere de l'Inquisition de Goa. B. Picart sculp. dir. 1722.
ID Number
Source
Image and original data from Wellcome Collection
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
V0041636.jpg
SSID
24887568

Now viewing Left, the banner of the Spanish Inquisition; right banner of the Inquisition in Goa. Engraving by B. Picart, 1722.