Javascript must be enabled to view this site.

Read our system requirements.

Glass ampoule of liquid chloroform, Paris, France, 1845-1945
1 of 1

Glass ampoule of liquid chloroform, Paris, France, 1845-1945, result 1 of 1

Item Details
Open Artstor
Available to everyone
Title
Glass ampoule of liquid chloroform, Paris, France, 1845-1945
Description
Chloroform was used as an anaesthetic from the late 1840s until the 1950s. Liquid chloroform was dropped on to a face mask or vaporised and inhaled by the patient through a face mask. The chloroform was prepared by a Parisian pharmacist, A Vicario. Once the potentially toxic nature of this anaesthetic had become apparent, it was used far more cautiously. The vial was owned by Sir James Cantlie (1851-1926), a surgeon and medical administrator whose prestigious career included a leading role in setting up the London School of Tropical Medicine and the provision and training of ambulance services during the First World War. maker: Vicario, A Place made: Paris, Ville de Paris, Île-de-France, France
ID Number
Source
Image and original data from Wellcome Collection
License
Use of this image is in accordance with the applicable Terms & Conditions
File Properties
File Name
L0057252.jpg
SSID
24780938

Now viewing Glass ampoule of liquid chloroform, Paris, France, 1845-1945