The Hanke Building
1 of 1
The Hanke Building, result 1 of 1
Available to everyone
The Hanke Building
architecture (object genre) ; department stores; offices (work spaces); retail stores
site: 1128 Main St, The Hanke Building
brick (clay product); limestone
Beaux-Arts; Renaissance Revival
Designed by Louis Piket in 1888, the Hanke Building was commissioned by Herman Adolph Hanke and served as the location for Hanke Department Store. The building housed the department store until 1933 when it was closed due to the economic fallout of the Great Depression. The building eventually fell into disrepair and was slated for demolition in 1995 before it was saved by the Stough Development Corporation, who turned the building into a combination retail and office space. The Beaux-Arts style of the building is indicative of other structures built at the time. Piket utilized characteristics typical of the Beaux-Arts style including pilasters topped with Corinthian capitals, window arches, and a flat roof. The Hanke Building also has a three-story atrium.
SubjectCincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio, United States; National Register of Historic Places; restoration (process); department stores; atriums (interior spaces); flat roofs; pilasters
Image:Photographed ca. 2003-2005
NO COPYRIGHT - UNITED STATES
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor's software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/copyright for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
Use of this image is in accordance with the Artstor Terms & Conditions
Now viewing The Hanke Building